Saturday, June 6, 2009

the art of bread making

Graden has this thing with wheat bread, he LOVES it! Since I have so much time out here he asked me if I would make some homemade 100% whole wheat bread.

Step One: google, "homemade 100% whole wheat bread recipes"

No luck, all the recipes I found called for wheat flour and white flour, Graden wanted 100% whole wheat.

After searching some time with no luck I decided that I would try putting wheat flour in where it called for white flour.

It didn't work.


It did not raise, I baked it anyways. The middle came out doughy and the crust hard as a rock.

Hyrum's mom is a master bread maker so we asked her what the problem might be. She said to try different yeast.

I used different yeast, still did not work.

Dad said maybe it is because of the wheat flour that was supposed to be white flour.

Step Two: google again, "homemade 100% whole wheat bread recipe"

Good luck this time, I found a recipe that calls for only wheat flour.

First time, it worked!


The dough raised and bread cooked all the way through.

Second time, bread with new recipe, did not work.

I thought that the hotter I make the yeast the better it will rise.
Bad thought!

Hot water kills yeast.

Third time, new recipe, not so hot water, finally works.

After 3 weeks I have mastered the art of bread making.

2 comments:

trudy...{and jamo} said...

yummmmmmm!

Jenkins said...

you make me laugh!!!!
You are such a good little wifey...I think I would tell Elliot to make it him self. OOPS! Maybe I should take some tips from you!!!

PS...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!